CHURCH OF SAINT FRANCIS OF ASSISI
The Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi lies in Kalsa district, a few steps away from piazza Marina. The facade of the church is built in Gothic style. The church construction dates back to about 1260. Of the original structure remain the gothic double lancet windows of the side aisles and the facade with the rose window.
Quattro Canti is in the very heart of the city. It is an octagonal square at the crossroads of two main streets of Palermo: corso Vittorio Emanuele and via Maqueda. This special square was also called Octagon of the Sun or Theatre of the Sun because during the day at least one of the architectural wings is lit by the sun.
CHURCH OF SAN CATALDO
The church of San Cataldo lies in the very heart of the city, in piazza Bellini and is also near the church of Santa Maria dell’Ammiraglio, known as Martorana. The church of San Cataldo is one of the monuments included in the Norman Arab itinerary of Palermo, it has both oriental and occidental style elements.
Vucciria historic market is one of the worldwide best known historic markets of Palermo as well as Ballarò and Capo. It stretches between via Roma, la Cala, the Cassaro and Garraffello square. At first it was used to slaughter and sell meat, nowadays it has become one of the areas of Palermo nightlife.
Ballarò is one of the worldwide best known historic markets of Palermo. It stretches from Casa Professa square to the bastions of corso Tukory. In the market is also sold the typical street food of Palermo cooking such as panelle, crocchè, spleen sandwiches, quarume (veal entrails in vegetable broth), boiled octopus and vegetables.